durusmail: mems-talk: Re: Membrane deflection
Re: Membrane deflection
Re: Membrane deflection
Eric Bonnotte
1998-08-03
Hello,

During my PhD, I dealt with the mechanical properties of thin films widely
used in MEMS.
I built a set-up for bulge test (membrane under hydrostatic pressure) and I
carried out FEM analysis.
With the experimental data and the numerical solutions, I fitted the
analytical solutions which was first described by Timoshenko and al, and
later by Tabata.

I wrote many papers about this work but unfortunately, most of them are in
French !!!

This is my main paper for circular and rectangular membranes :

E. Bonnotte, P. Delobelle, L. Bornier, B. Trolard, G. Tribillon  : " Two
interferometric methods for the mechanical characterization of thin films
by bulging test ", J. of Mat. Res., Vol.12, N°9,16 pages, Sept 97.

These are the main authors and papers in that field :

M. K. Small, W. DF. NIX : " Analysis of the accuracy of the bulge test in
determining the mechanical properties of thin films", J. Mater. Res., Vol
7,6 p 1553-1563, 1992
T. Tsakalakos : " The bulge test : comparison of theory and experiment for
isotropic and anisotropic films", Thin Solid Films, Vol 75, p293-305, 1981
E. W. Ross, J. R and W. Prager : " On the theory of the bulge test", Quar.
Appl. Math, Vol 12, p86-91, 1954

S timoshenko : "plates and shell" Mc Graw-hill, N Y, 1959

You will find also papers from Tabata, Lin & Senturia, Hill.... But anyway
it needs to many parameters to describe the analytical equations and after
this work, my conclusion was : FEM are easier, quicker and more precise !

Last remark : with FEM, be carefull in the case a/e > 500 (a = radius of
circular membrane and e thickness) : a classical FEM software can't run.

Eric

At 05:06 PM 7/30/98 +0100, you wrote:
> Dear colleages,
>
> I am looking for an analytical solution to calculate the deflection
> and the stress/strain behaviour of a clamped circular/square or
> rectangular membrane. It seems there is no complete analytical
> model for this published (especially in the rectangular case) and
> everybody uses FEM instead.
>
> I am looking for a plug-in solution able to do the following (yes,
> I am optimistic ..) :
>
> + any geometry/aspect ratio (rectangular case) can be calculated
> + deflections bigger than membrane thickness are valid
> + deflection and strain/stress values as function of position
>
> Any hint appreciated. Please ... don't just mention Timoshenko.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Werner.
>  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> W  J   K  A  R  L
> MEMS Unit, U of Sheffield         Home 'sweet Home :
> Mappin Street                     Cobden View Rd. 7o
> Sheffield S1 3JD, UK              Sheffield S1o 1HQ
> +44 (0) 114 222 5182/5890         South Yorks., UK
> Fax (0) 114 272 6391              +44 (0) 114 266 2831
> elp95wjk@sheffield.ac.uk
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> What has two legs and three ears ? - A happy Tyson :-)

mailto:bonnotte@clamart.srpc.slb.com

Eric Bonnotte

Schlumberger Wireline and Testing
SRPC- Clamart