durusmail: mems-talk: Re: Membrane deflection
Re: Membrane deflection
Re: Membrane deflection
Mark Sheplak
1998-08-03
Werner,

I can offer you partial help.  The following paper will give you everything
that you need for the circular case...

Sheplak, M. and Dugundji, J., ``Large Deflections of Clamped Circular Plates
Under Tension and Transitions to Membrane Behavior,''  J. Appl. Mech., Vol.
65, No. 1, 107-115, 1998.

We developed this model to aid in the design of a piezoresistive microphone.
It proved to be very accurate for our application. I hope that this is
helpful to you.  If you have any questions please contact me.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Sheplak
Department of Aerospace Engineering,
Mechanics, & Engineering Science
227 Engineering Building
PO Box 116250
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611-6250
(352) 392-3983
(352) 392-7303 FAX
ms@aero.ufl.edu
From: WJ Karl
To: MEMS@ISI.EDU
Date: Saturday, August 01, 1998 8:05 PM
Subject: Membrane deflection

> Dear colleages,
>
> I am looking for an analytical solution to calculate the deflection
> and the stress/strain behaviour of a clamped circular/square or
> rectangular membrane. It seems there is no complete analytical
> model for this published (especially in the rectangular case) and
> everybody uses FEM instead.
>
> I am looking for a plug-in solution able to do the following (yes,
> I am optimistic ..) :
>
> + any geometry/aspect ratio (rectangular case) can be calculated
> + deflections bigger than membrane thickness are valid
> + deflection and strain/stress values as function of position
>
> Any hint appreciated. Please ... don't just mention Timoshenko.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Werner.
> W  J   K  A  R  L
> MEMS Unit, U of Sheffield         Home 'sweet Home :
> Mappin Street                     Cobden View Rd. 7o
> Sheffield S1 3JD, UK              Sheffield S1o 1HQ
> +44 (0) 114 222 5182/5890         South Yorks., UK
> Fax (0) 114 272 6391              +44 (0) 114 266 2831
> elp95wjk@sheffield.ac.uk
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> What has two legs and three ears ? - A happy Tyson :-)

reply