durusmail: mems-talk: Re: stiction of contacting surfaces
Re: stiction of contacting surfaces
Re: stiction of contacting surfaces
OFIR DEGANI
2002-10-16
Hi,

There could be several mechanisms that cause permanent stiction of working
device.  These depend on the operation procedure and packaging.

I encountered several of the following problems:

1) If you have dielectric layer than charging may cause that.

2) If you don't use vaccum or dry N2 encapsulation than you may still have
problem with high humidity that may cause stiction, similar to what happen
on the wet rlease process.

3) Depending on the stiffness of your device you may encounter the Casimir
effect that is known to cause stiction for devices with low stiffness

4) I also encountered problem with short circuiting of electrode that caused
fusion of the electrodes.

5) small dust particles between the electrode may also burn due to short
circuiting and cause stiction

To avoid most of the above I never use dielectric coating, use vacuum
encapsulation and the most important is using landing electrodes that have
the same potential as the actuator and don't short circuit the electrodes.
This way I manage to run the device for milions of cycles without any
problems.

Hope this will be helpful for you

SHALOM

Ofir