durusmail: durus-users: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Durus object database

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Durus object database
Re: [Quixote-users] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Durus object database
2004-07-26
Re: [ANNOUNCE] Durus object database
Re: [ANNOUNCE] Durus object database
Neil Schemenauer
2004-07-26
On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 10:33:35AM -0400, John Belmonte wrote:
> However, I do make heavy use of conflict resolution.  I'm
> wondering how hard it would be to add this to Durus, or if perhaps
> I don't really need the feature.

I think conflict resolution would be somewhat tricky to implement.
It is also very tricky to use correctly in our experience.  We don't
have any plans add support for it.

> With Durus, how would you handle an application which has frequent
> concurrent writes to the same object?  Example transactions would
> include adding an item to a dictionary, or incrementing a value.

First, we try to avoid designs that require that.  Second, our
transactions are short (i.e. we call abort() right before
calculating something and commit() right after).  Third, our write
rate is low.

  Neil

reply