durusmail: durus-users: Re: Anybody willing to try BerkeleyDB Storage?
Anybody willing to try BerkeleyDB Storage?
Re: Anybody willing to try BerkeleyDB Storage?
Re: Anybody willing to try BerkeleyDB Storage?
Michael Watkins
2006-03-19
* Jesus Cea wrote [2006-03-16 20:54:45 +0100]:

> I just finished documentation and improve performance a lot. Currently
> performance seems about 10% worse that FileStorage, if you use it in
> local. If you use the Durus Server, performance difference is lost in
> the noise.
>
> Experiences and comments welcome.

I've been following the discussions and have keen interest in this but as yet
no time. A while back in the discussion threads I'd kicked off a round of
simple scalability examinations by chucking lots of relatively small records
into Durus and found, naturally, that aside from start up and potential
retrieval performance issues, the more obvious limit was all those oid's in
RAM causing the app to run into server RAM limits.

Sounds like your BerkleyDB Storage is a solution to that particular problem
and quite possibly the others.

As soon as I knock a few more things off my plate I'll redo the infamous
stock quotation database 'test'. Can't wait!

Question for Jesus - have you any thoughts or experience with using other
backends for Storage? Curious what the work effort and plusses/minuses would
be for using something like Postgres.
reply