durusmail: durus-users: Re: Backup, redundancy etc.
Re: Backup, redundancy etc.
Re: Backup, redundancy etc.
David Binger
2007-04-17
On Apr 17, 2007, at 11:20 AM, David K. Hess wrote:

> I'm following up on an old thread where this was mentioned:
>
>> Another method is to run a StorageServer on another machine that
>> defers to the primary StorageServer as a "master".  This method is
>> interesting in that the secondary server can actually be used by an
>> application.  (See "durus -s -h" for MASTERPORT and MASTERHOST
>> options).
>
> I've searched around and haven't been able to find a good
> explanation for how this works and how it is intended to be
> architected into a site.
>
> Is the point of this feature to basically reduce/optimize network
> traffic from a second machine with durus clients to a file based
> storage server on a primary machine? Or is there some more
> complicated replication (and fault tolerance) of some sort at work?

I think the main purpose of this option was to demonstrate that
a StorageServer can be made to work with an underlying Storage
that itself has invalidations.   It opens the door for some
creativity with respect to site architecture (and Storage),
but there isn't any specific intended architecture.

The simple plan still works fine here.

reply