durusmail: durus-users: Comparison of File, Shelf, Postgresql storages.
Comparison of File, Shelf, Postgresql storages.
2007-09-13
Re: Comparison of File, Shelf, Postgresql storages.
Re: Comparison of File, Shelf, Postgresql storages.
2007-09-13
Updated: Comparison of File, Shelf, Postgresql storages.
2007-09-14
Comparison of File, Shelf, Postgresql storages.
Patrick K. O'Brien
2007-09-13
On Sep 13, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Michael Watkins wrote:

> For Google's sake primarily, here is a comparison of three storages,
> FileStorage2, ShelfStorage, and PostgresStorage.

Thanks for sharing that.  You've confirmed what I noticed when we
first started using ShelfStorage with Schevo, which is that it takes
longer to pack, but if you don't pack it then startup times are much
worse than FileStorage2.  Once you do pack it, startup is blazingly
fast.

I noticed this phenomenon in situations such as yours, where I had
created *lots* of objects (like when converting an existing
FileStorage2 database to ShelfStorage).  What I'd be curious to know
is how quickly does ShelfStorage startup time degrade in between
packings?  I'm hoping that the benefits of ShelfStorage don't degrade
too quickly (like, startup time increasing dramatically after only a
few transactions without a pack).  Does anyone have any insight into
this?

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech    http://www.orbtech.com