durusmail: mems-talk: Frustrated by 2um Nitride
Frustrated by 2um Nitride
Frustrated by 2um Nitride
Dave Kharas
2003-06-30
Hi Michael,
The 2um thick nitride is quite thick. The thickest
I've grown is 1.2um. Do you know what the stress is?
Did you use the Berkeley Low stress nitride or regular
nitride? I also saw they have a variable stress
nitride, which i am guessing is even lower stress with
higher DCS:NH3 ratios. According to their web site,
even the low stress nitride has a stress of around
300MPa (Is this info correct?), this could still be
too high for your application. With the variable
stress nitride you can proably get stress lower to
100MPa but maintaining film thickness and stress
uniformity from wafer to wafer becomes more
difficult. An oxide layer under the nitride could
introduce some compressive stress and may reduce some
of the cracking that your seeing.

good luck

dave kharas Ph.D.
Sarcon Microsystems