durusmail: mems-talk: High temperature behaviour of Silicon
High temperature behaviour of Silicon
High temperature behaviour of Silicon
Kenneth Smith
2004-02-04
I dont agree with the loss of mechanical and electrical and physical
properties using silicon- initial diffusions are often done at 1200 C
without degredation of the base product if the environment is clean. The
  biggest issue is the potential for unwanted doping if the environment
is not clean-
We use a 9hour 900 C in Nitrogen and also a 2 hour 1200 C in O2 anneal
of NTD float zone Silicon without any degredation of the base product
and this product withstands a subsequent 14 hour  1200 degree Al
difussion with less than a 3% change in the product resistiivity.
The key is to keep any mechanical or envrionment contaminants from
contacting the product as even handling ingot or wafers with tainted
gloves or tweesers can cause unwanted spot doping of product.

Normal Oxidation of Silicon has a normal stop point as the Si is
partially consumed during the process. Longer and thicker oxides using
wet or dry Thermal oxidation methods can be obtained but can take
hundreds of hours in the best environment to obtain.

Ken

robtdavis@charter.net wrote:
> As with most materials science questions there are conditions for everything.
I can list several obstacles to your quest, high temperature metallization
reactions with the silicon, SiO2 formation the film will be flawed unless the
oxidizing environment controlled and the loss of mechanical, electrical and
physical properties.  Several of the oxides of silicon are unique crystal
structures that may or may not be compatible with your poly or single crystal
silicon substrate.... to list a few

--

Kmbh Associates
47 Rocket Circle

High Purity Float Zone and Specialty CZ Silicon  for Power, IR and
Mirror Optics, Optoelectronics, MEMS, SOI, and other Semiconductor
applications. Service in SOI, Polishing SSP and DSP.
Quartz, Glass, Pyrex and Borofloat Wafer Supply. Anodic Bonding. SOG, SOS.

reply