durusmail: mems-talk: SF6 isotropic etch
SF6 isotropic etch
Brent Garber (2 parts)
SF6 isotropic etch
Marc Straub
2004-04-05
Does anyone have actual etch rate data for various recipes?
I don't have numbers available right now, but my past
experience using the ASE process in STS etchers is that
nitride and Si etch at essentially the same rate, while any
oxide is much much slower.  In fairness, the nitride films
in my experiments were always pretty thin, and I never tried
very hard to calculate an exact etch rate for them.  My
point however is that nitride is not a good stopping layer,
nor will exposed nitride features survive very well, in an
SF6 silicon etch.

BTW- the rate of oxides is highly dependent on the
densification, so CVD oxide etches faster than thermal oxide
for example.

Hope these comments help...

Marc Straub
Solidus Technologies, Inc.