durusmail: mems-talk: Plasma activation for Wafer Bonding
Plasma activation for Wafer Bonding
Residue remover of RIE polyimide on Al metallization
Plasma activation for Wafer Bonding
Brubaker Chad
2004-05-27
Chuan Seng,

With response to your questions below:
1) It is recommended that the wafers be chemically cleaned prior to the
activation.  Standard cleans such as Piranha and RCA 1 & 2 (SC1 & 2) are
sufficient, although any HF dip steps associated with these cleans should be
left out, of course , since the HF may roughen the oxide surface. You may even
want to look into application of megasonics for the rinse prior to plasma
activation to ensure good particle removal, as for any direct bonding process,
particles are the enemy.
2) DI rinse is not necessary after activation. Of course, I can only speak for
the systems EVG manufactures, as there will be variance between  the operational
methods of other systems.
3) Power, Temperature, and duration can be specific to the substrate being
processed (such as size, features, bow/warp, etc), although typically the post
bonding temperature will not exceed 300 C.  Activation and bonding are performed
at room temperature.

Best Regards,

Chad Brubaker

EV Group       invent * innovate * implement
Technology - Tel: (602) 437-9492, Fax: (602)437-9435 e-mail:
C.Brubaker@EVGroup.com, www.EVGroup.com

This message and any attachments contain confidential or privileged information,
which is intended for the named addressee(s) only. If you have received it in
error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete this e-mail. Please
note that unauthorized review, copying, disclosing, distributing or otherwise
making use of the information is strictly prohibited.