durusmail: mems-talk: Sio2 - Sio2 wafer bonding
Sio2 - Sio2 wafer bonding
Sio2 - Sio2 wafer bonding
Pierre Huet
2004-12-16
Thermal oxide grown in pure O2 begins to flow - very moderately - at
temperature ~ 1100 C at 1 atm. To lower the fusion temperature, you may
want to try the following:
- Phosphosilicate Glass (PSG) typically deposited by LPCVD;
- Borophosphosilicate Glass (BPSG) typically deposited by LPCVD;

These films were widely used on old CMOS processes at inter-dielectric
between the polysilicon and the metal layer. One application was to
reflow the glass over the polysilicon to have good step coverage of the
metal lines. There are dopants other than P and B that lower the glass
fusion temperature (Germanium for ex.), but these are the most common.

The PSG and much more the BPSG films are hydrophilic and may react with
ambient moisture to produce phosphoric acid and boric acid on the
surface of the glass, especially if highly doped.
But PSG at ~ 8 % P should be OK if you limit exposure to a reasonably
dry ambient and it may flow at 900 C.

Also, you may want to consider bonding in a wet ambient (H2O in O2).
This will leach out P but is known to reflow the glass much better.
However, there may be serious draw-back for your application.

Regards,
Pierre x286