durusmail: mems-talk: Re: Offer to trim, make or adjust MEMS part
Re: Offer to trim, make or adjust MEMS part
1997-12-16
Re: Offer to trim, make or adjust MEMS part
Yohannes
1997-12-16
At 10:07 PM 2/11/98 -0800, you wrote:

>- ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BD3739.714EDFE0
>
>Deschutes Corporation is designing FIB Systems targeted to MEMS =
>fabrication.
>
>If you have a part that could benefit from being milled by an Ion Beam =
>(Ga source) using a Focused Ion Beam system, FIB, we can perform this =
>work for you. The beam can be adjusted from approximately 15 nm to 500 =
>nm beam diameter (spot size) and the beam current can be adjusted in a =
>wide range. The beam sputter material. In addition we can deposit =
>material very accurately (Tungsten, Platinum, etc) both conductive and =
>insulator material. We can mill out bridges, tips using a pattern =
>generator to which you can download any pattern to control the beam.
>
>We are right now looking for samples to use in a demo project, it could =
>be an AFM tip, thin film head for hard drives, a sensor, an entire micro =
>optic bench, lenses, mirrors or lasers, only your imagination sets the =
>limits!
>
>Please let me or the CC email address above know if you are interested =
>in taking advantage of this limited offer.
>
>Regards,
>Steve Rosenberg
>Deschutes Corporation

I found this mesasage very intersting.  We, the MicroSystems Engineering
Team, at Louisiana State University can produce arrays of posts out of
nickel using x-ray lithography (LiGA).  The dimension of these posts range
from 2 microns to 4 microns in diameter and approximately 10 microns in
height.  We etched these nickel posts using electrochemical etching to
produce AFM tips.  We have also tried ion milling on these posts.  If you
think you can mill these posts and make AFM tips successfully, we can send
you some samples.  May be we can get a few joint publications out of it.
If you are interested, please send me a reply.

Best Regards
Yohannes M. Desta
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Louisiana State University