durusmail: mems-talk: Re: XeF2 Silicon Etching
Re: XeF2 Silicon Etching
Re: XeF2 Silicon Etching
Albert K. Henning
1998-03-13
Avi Laker wrote:

> We have an immidiate application in high volume manufacturing for
> etching silicon about 75u deep on both sides of the wafer.
> Would love to chat with someone.
>
> avi laker
> Teccor Electronics
> 972-756-8237

Avi:  We use a combination of KOH and HF/Nitric/Acetic to etch both
sides of a wafer (up to 500 um thick) to controlled (+/- 1 um) depths,
including all the way through the wafer.  We have steered away from
XeF2, because in our opinion it is 'not ready for prime time'.  However,
STS may have made some progress with controlling the etch (Kris Pister
warned us ~1.5 years ago that the etch was difficult to control, and
left more roughness than we could tolerate.  IBM in Burlington, Vermont
has, however, used XeF2 in its Si IC processing for years, though I
cannot find details about their process.)  We will also use a
conventional Si plasma etch for isotropic Si etch, to a depth of 15 um,
in the near future.

I'll be interested in hearing what you may learn about the current
status of XeF2 etching.

Regards, Al Henning
--
Albert K. Henning, Ph.D.    650/617-0854 (Office)
Redwood Microsystems        650/326-9217 (FAX)

reply