durusmail: mems-talk: Wire bonding problems
Wire bonding problems
Balco (Ni 70% + Fe 30%) wire bonding on Ni/Au pads.
Wire bonding problems
Adamson, Steve
2006-03-02
Most organics like silver epoxy tend to die around 200deg C so I am
skeptical that using silver epoxy would work for an extended period. =20

I think you have to look closer at your metal surfaces. You are using an
extremely thin gold layer. Are you getting a weld to that layer? When
you run pull test or bond shear on the balls, you should see the
weldment of the bond. If not then I suspect your initial bonds are not
welding.=20

I think Pt is supposed to be a good stick layer for the gold and I do
not believe at 350 deg C you will see an diffusion of the two metals. I
am surprised you are not seeing any pull off of the gold leaving a Pt
surface underneath. You can improve the welding operation by adding
heat. Normally you would use 100 deg c with ultrasonic bonding. Thermo
compression bonding you would use 400 deg C. I would try increasing the
substrate temperature and see if this helps.

Have you done an edax or something to look at the surface metals on the
pad. Also have you made sure that all surfactants are removed after
dicing. A quick plasma surface conditioning can also help.

Regards,
=20
Steve Adamson
Market Manager - Hard Disk Drives=20