durusmail: mems-talk: Bright Spots on PDMS during microPIV
Bright Spots on PDMS during microPIV
2007-03-16
Bright Spots on PDMS during microPIV
Beggans Michael H IHMD
2007-03-18
Vishwa,

At first glance, I'd guess that you're seeing the effects of optical
inteference. Within the mixing/rotating portion with herringbone pattern,
there will be changing densities of particles at different distances.
Fluorescence from this region will probably tend to cancel itself out a bit
due to destructive interference. In the flat portions, the particles are
evenly distributed and there would be less destructive interference.

That is assuming you've imaged the channels without flowing particles
through them and did NOT see this same effect. If you do see it without the
particle flow, then you've got the same situation, but due to the PDMS
thickness differences.

Or, if you're not using an optical filter to block the YAG wavelengths,
you've got reflections from the laser light into the detector.

Mike

Dr. Michael H. Beggans
Naval Surface Warfare Center, Indian Head
101 Strauss Ave. Bldg. 302            Phone: (301) 744-1927
Indian Head, MD 20640                  Fax:    (301) 744-6406