durusmail: mems-talk: proper glass-glass bonding
proper glass-glass bonding
proper glass-glass bonding
Isaac Chan
2007-11-05
Mikael,

Interesting debate. I don't think the industry really have the "magic
pill" to solve a problem perfectly, although their advertising campaign
may try to portray this image to their potential customers. Furthermore,
the principle or pioneer ideas usually come out from academic research.
But industry will adopt some valuable and profitable research from the
public domain and invest millions to billions dollars to upscale and
mass-produce the product of those ideas in hope to make a good profit.
Even if those ideas are not really secrets, indeed most of them aren't,
there is no reason for them to give them out to risk their market
competitiveness. Don't forget they may lose their profits, but they can't
deny salary payment to their employees. It is not just a matter of an idea
anymore.  But you are free to develop your own solutions that may have
same or even better quality. It works both ways.

Regards,
Isaac

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Mikael Evander wrote:

> > Mikael:
> >
> > Maybe groups that provide the superior bonding like to be paid for
> > their IP
> > investment. I alway maintain that deluxe cost 5 cents extra. Bob
> > Henderson
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> Absolutely. I'm not arguing that and maybe I should have phrased the questions
slightly differently.

> I mean, for my research to reach the state when it might be worth going for
the commercial etching/bondning I'll have to go through a lot of designs. And if
every design I make takes a couple of days to bond before it's possible for me
to evaluate that specific design it will take me a very long time to ever
request those services.

> I'm sure there are some small things out there that different groups are doing
and using that will push up the bonding efficiency slightly and will make the
bonding a lot better, although not as good as the commercial ones.

> I wasn't really meaning that the companies should give up their entire secrets
(which I guess there is an enormous amount of work behind), but I still think
that the field in general, and thus the companies as well, would benefit from
the researchers being able to optimize their lab-time. If we're able to go
through more designs and optimize our applications in less time, there should be
more ideas that have time to mature enough to reach the point where it's time to
see how to turn it into something commercial.

reply