durusmail: mems-talk: Another question about silicon dioxide wet etching
Another question about silicon dioxide wet etching
2007-11-17
SV: [mems-talk] Another question about silicon dioxide wet etching
Another question about silicon dioxide wet etching
Kirt Williams
2007-11-19
For the question "Can the fabrication method of SiO2 make such a big
difference in etching rate?" the answer is "yes, it can make an enormous
difference."
Some methods of obtaining a layer of SiO2 are sputtering, thermal growth, ,
LPCVD with annealing, LPCVD without annealing, and PECVD.
These are listed in order of slowest-etching to fastest etching.
In addition to deposition method, the addition of other oxides such as
phosphorous oxide (as in PSG) or boron oxide (as in BSG) can increase or
decrease the etch rate.
Annealing (e.g., at 1000 C for 1 hour) can decrease the etch rate of CVD
oxides.
For tables of hundreds of measured etch rates, along with documentation of
preparation methods, see two papers from JMEMS:
http://microlab.berkeley.edu/labmanual/chap1/JMEMSEtchRates1(1996).pdf
http://microlab.berkeley.edu/labmanual/chap1/JMEMSEtchRates2(2003).pdf
    --Kirt Williams