durusmail: mems-talk: How to improve SU-8 adhesion? (Steven Yang)
How to improve SU-8 adhesion? (Steven Yang)
2008-01-14
How to improve SU-8 adhesion? (Steven Yang)
Michael Larsson
2008-01-14
Hi Steven,

What is the width (or range of widths) of your microchannels and what
is the intended application - i.e. what fluid(s) do you intent to pass
through it?

You may be able to improve adhesion between the SU-8 layer and the
substrate using chemical treatments or other forms of surface
modifications, however, this is unlikely to survive the transition
from lab prototype to reliable, functioning device. This is especially
true if your microchannels are conveying solvents or chemically
aggressive fluids.

You can ensure robust adhesion between SU-8 and the substrate in
microfluidic applications using mechanical interlocking. The papers
below will help if you pursue this route:

i) "Improved polymer–glass adhesion through micro-mechanical
interlocking", M P Larsson et al 2006 J. Micromech. Microeng. 16
S161-S168

ii) M P Larsson et al 2005 J. Micromech. Microeng. 15 2074-2082

Regards,

Michael

reply