durusmail: mems-talk: SU-8 Cracking: revisited
SU-8 Cracking: revisited
2008-02-21
SU-8 Cracking: revisited
Michael Larsson
2008-02-21
Hi Kevin,

Well, as far as I know it is fact: cracks propagate under tension -
period. If you are dealing with ductile materials, of which SU-8 is
not, then plastic deformation in the 'wake' of a crack front can
promote progression under compressive loading, as part of varying
stress cycle. In SU-8, treated as a brittle material, residual
stresses cannot be 'relieved' by material deformation/flow, so
instead, when the failure stress (equal to the yield stress in brittle
materials) of the material is exceeded, it cracks.

When dealing with SU-8, one cannot really talk of the "exposure dose"
or the "baking conditions" in isolation. The two are necessary
components of the curing (or cross-linking) process, and reductions in
one component can, to some extent, be offset by increases in another.
Any advice on SU-8 processing needs to consider both baking and
exposure components as a pair; key ingredients to the initiation and
growth of x-links.

If cracks are observed in SU-8 that is apparently 'under'-exposed, the
cracks have still formed under tension. The reason being that the
layer has not achieved maximum/optimal x-linking density to provide
sufficient cohesive strength to resist stress-induced cracking. With
higher x-linking density, the material can achieve higher strength,
but the tensile stresses that promote cracking are also higher. The
trick is to achieve an optimal balance between residual film stress
and cohesive strength to achieve a mechanically sound and crack-free
layer. As Gareth suggests, blanking off regions of a mask that do not
form part of the intended structure is a good way to reduce film
stress. For thick layers, you could end up with a wafer that resembles
a cereal bowl, making subsequent lithographic-driven processes very
frustrating. If the wafer survives the mask aligner, you still have to
deal with the problem of lousy lithographic resolution.

Thanks,

Michael

reply