durusmail: mems-talk: Etching Ti
Etching Ti
2008-10-29
Etching Ti
Kevin Paul Nichols
2008-10-29
Matt,

Any time you need to etch a metal, and you don't have a commercially
supplied etchant that you know works, consult the CRC Handbook of Metal
Etchants. It's over a thousand pages of short recipes and references for
etching any metal you're likely to encounter. There are a variety listed for
Ti, some of which may be a better option for you. Look around pages 1260. If
you don't have it in your library, it's available as a limited preview
(omitting some random pages) on google books, and you can play around with
your search terms to give you all the pages you're looking for.

There are also lots of discussions on this (though not really MEMS focused)
on finishing.com

Kevin Paul Nichols
MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology
Mesoscale Chemical Systems
Meander 151
University of Twente
Postbus 217
7500 AE Enschede
The Netherlands

Office: +31 (0)53 489 26 31
Mobile: +31 (0)6 49 312 471
Fax   : +31 (0)53 489 35 95
Email : k.p.nichols@utwente.nl
Web   : http://mcs.tnw.utwente.nl/

> From: Matt Stock
> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:06:29 +0000
> Subject: [mems-talk]  Etching Ti
>

> I will be sputtering Ti onto a lithium niobate wafer. I then need to oxidise
> the ti layer of 300nm> to TiO2. H2O2 and alkali salts have been suggested as a
> method of doing this as well as etching the layer but I cant find any
> reference to this method, any ideas?
>
>  Thanks
>               Matt
reply