durusmail: mems-talk: problems about the thermo-piezoelectric ansys of quartz beam
problems about the thermo-piezoelectric ansys of quartz beam
problems about the thermo-piezoelectric ansys of quartz beam
Raj Gupta
2008-11-26
Daven-

I was not aware that tools allow for thermo-viscoelastic damping analysis.
Please elaborate.

So while I am not a user of ANSYS, but of ABAQUS, my understanding of FEM tools
for MEMS and large-aspect-ratio elements would lead me to suggest selecting one
of the following options:

        * Use six-sided bricks (quadrilateral surfaces) for meshing.  Consider
using either a structured mesh, or an extruded quadrilateral mesh.  You may need
to simplify your meshed geometry to approximate curved surfaces with 90 degrees
corners, etc.

        * Separate your thermal analysis from your piezoelectric analysis from
your damping analysis, or some fraction thereof except where coupling is
essential.  If you absolutely must have all three, then you will likely deal
with convergence problems and more issues with mesh compatability for all three.

        * For your thermal analysis (only) you may be able to use a much thicker
layer of gold (assuming you have large lateral distances compared to thickness)
by reducing gold's bulk thermal conductivity proportionately.  This will give
you the profile of the thermal gradients within the multilayer structure.  You
should not have to change the natural convective surface coefficients.

--
Raj Gupta, Owner
Volant Technologies, Inc.