durusmail: mems-talk: silicon anisotropic etching vs. starting material?
silicon anisotropic etching vs. starting material?
2009-04-27
silicon anisotropic etching vs. starting material?
Chilcott, Dan - NV
2009-04-27
Albert,

After spending years on bulk silicon etching in TMAH, KOH, and EDP I agree with
your statements. Oxygen concentration as it relates to oxygen precipitates in
your specific process are a major issue in the control of bulk etching. At my
former company we picked the starting material based on the dimensional control
spec. One aspect of feature control in bulk etching to keep in mind is the etch
rate of the planes that create your structure. For example, the 111 etch rate is
different for different etchants at various concentrations, temperatures, and
with different additives. Using an etchant with a higher 111 etch rate when
making a square cavity in a 100 wafer will uncover more defects in the 111
sidewall and will result in less dimensional control. We also had to consider
the dopant type and concentration in respect to the yield strength of membranes.
There is a lot of knowledge of the effect of the starting material on bulk
etching at some of the major silicon suppliers to the MEMS companies. There are
also low oxygen content wafers available that can result in better dimensional
control if you have a temperature history that produces precipitates.

I could have used some more available research on the topic when I was trying to
meet a spec.

Dan Chilcott
Sr. Member of the Technical Staff
ITT