durusmail: mems-talk: Al-Si wafer bonding
Al-Si wafer bonding
Al-Si wafer bonding
Brubaker Chad
2009-07-08
Leon,

Plasma bonding is a little bit of a misnomer - plasma is not typically present
during the bonding process at all.  Instead, plasma is used to activate the
surfaces - increasing the surface energy of the interface.

This technique has been used extensively to enhance silicon direct bonding (also
called fusion bonding).  The primary benefit seen is that it greatly reduces the
annealing temperature required to finalize the bond (typically, direct bonding
of silicon requires an anneal in the range of 1100ºC to make the bond permanent
- plasma activation allows annealing at 200 - 300ºC).

I'm also not sure if plasma can help with the bonding of aluminum; if we are
looking at a direct-bond mechanism, aluminum is typically too rough (for silicon
direct bonding, surface roughness has to be <2nm RMS - 0.5 nm is better).
However, aluminum bonding will typically follow a diffusion scheme, and the
added energy may enhance this diffusion.

Best Regards,

Chad Brubaker

EV Group
invent * innovate * implement
Senior Process Technology Engineer - Direct: +1 (480) 305 2414, Main: +1 (480)
305 2400 Fax: +1 (480) 305 2401
Cell: +1 (602) 321 6071
E-Mail: C.Brubaker@EVGroup.com, Web: www.EVGroup.com