durusmail: mems-talk: I want to build a pressure sensor and micropump
I want to build a pressure sensor and micropump
I want to build a pressure sensor and micropump
Albert Henning
2009-10-05
1) what's the application?

2) what's your specification?

3) what's wrong with plastic or similar?  That is, what in your spec
demands something non-plastic?

4) what's 'right' with germanium oxide?  My goodness, that's an exotic
material.  Growing a stable oxide on single-crystal germanium is
extremely difficult, requiring both I think high pressure and high
temperature (the original investigations date to the 1950s), and even
then the oxide is pretty much crap as an electrical insulator, and who
knows about its mechanical properties.

5) people have built a wide variety of pumps and pressure sensors out of
plastic.  I'm less sure about glass (can't recall any offhand, although
I've built glass membranes, and have seen some publication of same in
the literature).

6) Far more pumps and pressure sensors have been built out of silicon,
or combinations of silicon and glass.  Quartz (crystalline silicon
dioxide) has been used for resonant pressure sensors for a long time,
although not so much in MEMS.

7) Alignment of channels can be done using KOH-etched silicon at a
specified width, then use optical fiber as a 'guide' for alignment on
bonding.  Numerous schemes exist for the actual bonding (Si-glass,
Si-Si, glass-glass, using metal as intermediary bonding layer; Goran
Stemme at KTH and his colleagues used a particular bonding resin with
good results).  This is a low-cost and relatively high precision
alignment scheme, and has been published in the literature.

8) why a cylindrical channel?

Look around on Google scholar for references on materials and
processing.  Peter Woias has a particularly good review on micropumps,
about 6-8 years ago.  But, there's been considerable new work in the
interim.  Look at the journal Lab on a Chip, and the proceedings from
the micro-TAS conference.

If you want to prototype something quickly, look at Steve Quake's
foundry at Stanford.  You could build a pneumatically-actuated
bucket-brigade pump out of his tech, and kluge up a pressure sensor from
deflection of a PDMS membrane.

---
Albert K. Henning, PhD
Director of MEMS Technology