durusmail: mems-talk: PDMS ratio
PDMS ratio
Geir Bjørnsen
2009-11-18
Priya wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Does anyone know the  reason behind PDMS Elastomer and curing agent ratio ?
>
> They say it s 10:1 ratio.

I can recommend you to read "F. Chambon and H. H. Winter, Journal of
Rheology 1987, 31, 683-697."

The commercially available elastomer kits (Sylgard-184?) have two
components. One component contains the (often) linear PDMS with reactive
chain ends. The other component contains the crosslinker. The ratio you
read in the instructions will give you the most stable elastomer.
Meaning the number of free chain ends after curing is the lowest.

You can mix the two components in different ratio, but that will give
the elastomer formed different mechanical properties. I also assume that
such unbalanced elastomers are less stable over time.

--
Geir Bjørnsen, Phd Student
Vestfold University College