durusmail: mems-talk: Dispersion of TiO2 nanopowders in oil
Dispersion of TiO2 nanopowders in oil
Dispersion of TiO2 nanopowders in oil
Edward Sebesta
2009-11-20
Surfactants are designed to suspend hydrophobic materials into water
solutions. I am not sure that any would work well to suspend a hydrophilic
particle into an oil. Usually soaps have an organic tail with a short
hydrophilic end.

Also, I am not sure that the surfactant would disperse in a non-aqueous
solution.

The basic problem is that TiO2 is polar and you wish to disperse them into
non-polar liquids. This material is very finely divided and has a high
surface area and hence a very high work function for dispersal into a
non-polar liquid. Also, the particles in contact with each other would have
a lower work function.

You need to treat the TiO2 powder such that it has a hydrophobic non-polar
surface. Perhaps some carboxylic acid or such so the organic molecule is
bound to the surface with its organic tail facing outward. Or mix the TiO2
powder in water with the surfactant and then dry it.

Another approach might be to disperse the TiO2 in water and then mix the
water with acetone or ethanol. The composition won't be 100% acetone or
ethanol though.

Finally, some shearing mixing might be of use than just relying on
Ultrasonic mixing.

Ed