durusmail: mems-talk: silicon nitride HF resistant
silicon nitride HF resistant
silicon nitride HF resistant
Roger Brennan
2009-12-15
I have used this method in IC production. The purpose of the nitride was to
prevent silicon oxidation underneath. A layer (100nm) of high quality LPCVD
nitride was deposited. (The etch rate in conc HF was VERY low.) The surface
of the oxide was then oxidized.  The thin layer of oxide was masked and
etched in BOE.  After stripping the resist, the nitride was etched in
phosphoric. We used boiling concentrated phosphoric in a quartz beaker with
a water-cooled reflux condenser as a tightly fitting lid. We monitored the
temperature and added water as needed to maintain the temperature (and
boiling point) at 150 deg C (I may be remembering the temp wrong.)  If you
allow the boiling point to get too high, the phosphoric will etch the oxide
at a much faster rate.  You need a little bit of thermally oxide underneath
the nitride. Once the phosphoric etches through the oxide underneath, it
will attack the silicon and make it look real ugly.

Roger Brennan
Applications Director
Solecon Labs
770 Trademark Drive