durusmail: mems-talk: Silicon etch low roughness
Silicon etch low roughness
Silicon etch low roughness
Wendell McCulley
2010-02-08
Andrea,

      Be careful about comparing TMAH and KOH re; wt% and Etch rates etc.
they are very different animals.  It is my experience that 25% wt Aqueous
KOH yields about 2-3 um/min etch rate at 90C, and of course significantly
slower at 85C since it is an Arrhenius relationship with Temp.

      In general for better surfaces go to higher KOH Concentration and
lower temperatures such as 40% wt KOH, and 60C. (25% wt is near the peak
etch rate (vs conc) for KOH)  If you use IPA make sure to use saturated
solution of IPA in the KOH etchant.  That is dissolve as much as will go
into solution at temp, and then add a 0.75 to 1 inch meniscus of alcohol on
top of the etch solution to maintain saturation throughout the process
duration.  If you attempt to use a lesser % of alcohol, it will be changing
through the life of the etch and yield unrepeatable results.  Use aat least
a lid or even better a cooled reflux lid.

Best Regards,

Wendell McCulley
www.InterMEMS.com