durusmail: mems-talk: peristatic pumps
peristatic pumps
Brian Stahl
2010-10-11
Full disclosure: my experience with peristaltic pumps is limited to
low-viscosity liquids.  Peristaltic pumps will create a pulsatile flow,
which may be important depending on application specifics.  The factors I
see as being most important are the back pressure at the pump outlet and the
inlet pressure from your gas source.  Peristaltic pumps can generate
significant output pressures (depending on the working fluid).  If your gas
source is a pressurized cylinder with a regulator and your pump inlet
pressure is different from the outlet pressure you will have to do a
conversion to find the outlet volumetric flow rate.  But I am not aware of
any thermodynamic reasons why you can't pump a gas with a peristaltic pump,
and your gas selection should only be limited by the type of tubing you use.
 I hope this helps (or at least doesn't cause further confusion).

Best regards,

--
Brian C. Stahl
Graduate Student Researcher