durusmail: mems-talk: SU-8 2025 spinning & crater formation
SU-8 2025 spinning & crater formation
SU-8 2025 spinning & crater formation
Gareth Jenkins
2012-11-12
Regarding the craters (for searching the problem also try dimples and
divots!), I believe there are a number of possible causes.
Surface contamination is one but perhaps unlikely in your case as you have
taken steps to solve this. (In the past, I had solved the problem by
changing the conc. H2SO4 I was using for wafer prep. but in another
cleanroom we had the same problem which we couldn't get rid of.)
Micro bubbles are another cause as Andrew pointed out. To help the bubbles
come out you can also try placing the closed bottle in an oven at 60C for a
few hours. Aliquoting into smaller vials would be a good idea in this case
too.
Particulate contamination is also another possibility. Often dried resist
from the neck of the bottle can fall back in. Filtering may be an option
but I am not sure how exactly.
In my experience we have had far more trouble with the 2000 series than
with old GBL series. In one cleanroom we pretty much gave up as we still
had these craters after ordering a fresh bottle from Microchem. I have a
feeling it could have been airflows and particulate contamination in the
air around the spinner / hotplate but never really got to the bottom of it.