durusmail: mems-talk: RE: Non-contact temperature measurement of silicon wafer
RE: Non-contact temperature measurement of silicon wafer
RE: Non-contact temperature measurement of silicon wafer
Jaideep Mavoori
1999-08-02
Vijay,
A good non-contact method to measure the temperature of a wafer is by a
pyrometer.  They do face the limitation of not working well at the lower
temperature range and assume that you know the emissivity of the substrate.

In your case, wafers with polished/non-polished and with thick oxide, would
have varying emissivities.  An equipment vendor I know of (I think most of
this technology is patented by the vendor), solves the problem by using a
highly reflective area on the back side of the wafer, in effect, creating an
approx ideal black body.  Of course, it is not perfectly ideal, and
non-idealities are compensated for by using a emissometer.

The following Omega's site might have additional info for you:
http://www.omega.com/pdf/temperature/Z/pdf/z067-069.pdf

Goodluck.
Jaideep