durusmail: mems-talk: Help with your tri-level process
Help with your tri-level process
1999-08-24
Help with your tri-level process
Brian N. Hubert
1999-08-24
Dr. Zhou,

Best results are going to be by using RIE
(reactive ion etching) and preferably
DRIE (deep reactive ion etching)..... instead
of KOH etches. However, KOH can be used for
at least your 10 micron deep basins.

Steps:

(1)  Coat wafer with RIE photoresist on front side
(2)  Expose to Mask #1 (this mask only has
     the 10 micron deep basins patterned into it)
(3)  Develop
(4)  RIE or KOH etch the 10 micron basins
(5)  Remove photoresist
(6)  Coat wafer front side with more RIE photoresist
     (this resist is quite thick, and should conformally
     cover the 10 micron step at the edges of the basins
     with no problem)
(7)  Expose to Mask #2 (this mask has the 50 micron
     deep trenches patterned into in... with alignment
     marks for registration). Align using infra red
     to see through the photoresist
(8)  Develop
(9)  DRIE the 50 micron deep trenches
(10) Remove photoresist
(11) Coat back side of wafer with RIE photoresist
(12) Expose to Mask #3 (this mask has only the
     narrow through-holes patterned into it..... with
     infra red alignment marks)
(13) Develop
(14) DRIE the through-holes from the back side
(15) Remove photoresist
(16) You're done!

Good luck,

brian hubert, micromedia, mit media laboratory

reply