durusmail: mems-talk: RE: SU-8 50 patterning
RE: SU-8 50 patterning
1999-09-03
RE: SU-8 50 patterning
Ralf Longwitz
1999-09-03
Hi Mario,
I have some suggetions for you:

> Subject: SU-8 50 Patterning
>
> I recently bought SU-8 50 resist and I tried to
> pattern the resist with the following parameter:

I'm using a similar but much simpler process as yours for a 100um layer of SU-8
(SOTEC 70/30 which is about the same as your 50) and it works well. It was
developed mainly by a colleague of mine, Louis Guerin. The small size of the
wafers you are using certainly makes a difference, but probably a very small
one. The spinning speed may have to be adjusted to get the "exact" thicknesses
you want.

> Sample: Si wafer, about 2cm x 2cm
>
> Dehydration Bake 1h, 2300C
You probably forgot a dot in all our temperature figures.
We use: 200°C for 1h

> Spinning: 700rpm 5s
>           2000rmp 35s
For a 100um layer: 1000rpm 40s, acceleration of 200rpm/s
50..60: about 2000rpm (never tried that one)
Usually one should start with some seconds of about 500rpm to spread the resist,
we dont do that and it works fine anyway.

> 10min sheet relaxation
Right. I always forget that.

> pre bake 2min 500C  Hotplate
>          30min 900C Hotplate
20min 95°C

> Exposure: 9, 12, 15, 17, 19s (5 samples), 23mW/cm^2
min. 200J/cm^2 for 100um

> post-bake 500C 2min
>           950C 5min slow cool down (2h)
95°C for 15min, quick cool down. No special procedure.
Here may lie your problem. If you dont leave the (well) exposed SU-8 at a high
enough temperature for long enough, it will not polymerize completely which can
lead to funny effects like e.g. cracking.

> developing: 10min
Dito. Putting the wafer upside down in the solution helps.

> After developing the resolution was bad and there
> were a lot of rifts on the resist surface. Can anyone help me with
> optimized parameters to achieve sheet thicknesses of
> approx. 100um and 50...60um with SU-8 50 ?!
My parameters are certainly not highly optimized but good enough so far.

There are (at least) two pages with a lot or information about SU-8 technology:
http://aveclafaux.freeservers.com/SU-8.html
http://dmtwww.epfl.ch/~lguerin/SU8NF.html
Also Electronic Visions provided me with some helpful information.

Cheers,
Ralf G. Longwitz.

Research Assistant
Microsystems integration group