durusmail: mems-talk: Re: Viscous damping
Re: Viscous damping
Re: Viscous damping
Marek Turowski
1999-04-15
>From: Franck Larnaudie
>Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:57:38 +0200 (MET DST)
>Subject: Viscous damping
>To: MEMS@ISI.EDU
>
>I am working at the LAAS-CNRS in Toulouse (France) on the modeling,
fabrication and characterization of a MEMS torsion mirror.

>If anyone has any information on a such viscous damping (which is in fact
the viscous damping of a rectangular plate in vibrational tilting motion)
please contact me by e-mail or at the address below.

At CFD Research Corporation in Huntsville, Alabama, for last 2 years we
have studied the air damping phenomena in MEMS, both in terms of
high-fidelity 3D modeling as well as generation of reduced/compact models
for system-level simulations. We have published several papers on this topic:

* "Squeeze Film Behavior in MEMS for Large Amplitude Motion
   - 3D Simulations and Nonlinear Circuit/Behavioral Models"
   by M. Turowski,  Z. Chen,  A. Przekwas (CFDRC),
   presented and published at the IEEE/VIUF International Workshop on
Behavioral Modeling and Simulation (BMAS'98) in Orlando, Florida, October
27-28, 1998.
The paper describes my implementation of the squeeze film models for Spice
and Saber, compared with our 3D simulations done at CFDRC using our code
CFD-ACE, for very large amplitudes of the motion and pressure changes.

* "High-Fidelity and Behavioral Simulation of Air Damping in MEMS"
  by M. Turowski, Z. Chen and A. Przekwas (CFDRC),
  to be presented at the International Conference MSM'99 in Puerto Rico,
April 19-21, 1999.
In this paper, there is more about viscous-drag damping forces on plates
moving laterally to a substrate, plates with holes, and tilting micromirrors.

* "PHYSICAL AND BEHAVIORAL SIMULATIONS OF SQUEEZE FILM DAMPING IN MEMS",
   by
   M. TUROWSKI,  A. PRZEKWAS (CFD RESEARCH CORPORATION, USA)
   S. VEMURI,  G. FEDDER  (CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY, USA)
- to be presented at 6th International Conference MIXDES'99: MIXED DESIGN
OF INTEGRATED CIRCUITS AND SYSTEMS, Kraków, Poland, 17 - 19 June 1999.

If you are interested, I can send you a MS-Word version of any of these
papers, attached to an e-mail or any other preferred way.

I invite you also to visit our web site:  http://www.cfdrc.com/
and in particular the section "Ongoing R&D"  ->  "MEMS & Bio-MEMS".
There, you can find more information on our research in MEMS modeling and
design.

Best Regards,

Marek Turowski
Microelectronics Research Branch