durusmail: mems-talk: RE: forming feather edges / burrs in metals
RE: forming feather edges / burrs in metals
RE: forming feather edges / burrs in metals
Horning, Bob D (MN14)
1999-04-27
Karl

Go to a library or bookstore and find a good book on woodworking - one that
describes sharpening of blades and tools.  There is a tool called a scraper
(or cabinet scraper) that is simply a piece of steel with which you scrape a
surface smooth.  I don't use one, but the ones I've seen are probably
0.005"-0.010" thick, in the range that you are dealing with.  The procedure
for sharpening scrapers is well known and is described quite fully in many
books.  It involves first grinding to  a  sharp, smooth edge and then
"burnishing" to get  the burr that you desire.  The burr is the key to
making the scraper work, so the technique for creating it will be explained
in some detail.

Bob Horning
Honeywell Technology Center

reply