durusmail: mems-talk: RE: Patterning of silicon nitride using KMER resist
RE: Patterning of silicon nitride using KMER resist
RE: Patterning of silicon nitride using KMER resist
Straub, Marc (M.A.)
1999-05-12
Hi Vikas,

I'm assuming you can't use plasma etch, which is the standard nitride etch
process.  There are chemistries that are highly selective to oxide, which
can be grown under the nitride, if you're trying not to damage the silicon
surface.  Wet etching nitride is rarely used by anyone, though it is
commonly stripped with concentrated HF.

The only nitride etch I've ever used is phosphoric acid (which must be
refluxed to maintain it's concentration).  Oxide (LTO or some other
deposited film) can be used as a mask, and some other metals may also be
suitable (check a standard metal corrosion reference for compatibility). I
wasn't aware that NaOH etched nitride, but I'd be interested in any
references you have.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.  Good luck.

--
Marc Straub
Advanced Technology Development