durusmail: mems-talk: Re: Adhesion of Electroplated Nickel to quartz
Re: Adhesion of Electroplated Nickel to quartz
2000-09-29
Re: Adhesion of Electroplated Nickel to quartz
Jun Bo Yoon
2000-09-29
Dear Colleague,

 Why don't you use Ti/Ni or Cr/Ni? Ni alone will not adhere to glass
or quartz well.

Jun-Bo Yoon

Hyuk-Jeen Suh wrote:

> I am having a problem that I hope some of you can help me with.  I
> evaporate a thin seed layer of Ni on top of a quartz glass and then I
> electroplate a thick layer (15microns) of Ni on top of the Ni seed layer.
> When I heat the sample up (450C), the Ni peels off of the quartz. Is this
> due to the fact that Ni inherently doesn't stick to quartz or is it due to
> stress?  I have also used Ti/Cu as a seedlayer but the Ti/Cu seedlayer
> peels off of the electroplated Ni. If anyone could give me some
> DETAILED advice on this, I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Hyuk-Jeen Suh

reply