durusmail: mems-talk: high resistivity Cr/Au layers
high resistivity Cr/Au layers
high resistivity Cr/Au layers
Anthony Flannery
2001-08-02
Dave,
If your ion beam system heats the wafer, you'll get the classic Si/Ti/Au
failure, where Au diffuses into the Si through the Ti. One way to check on this
is to get a temperature dot or high vacuum temperature sensitive lacquer from
Omega and put it on the backside of your wafer during the deposition. If the
temperature starts to climb over 120 C-150C, you're probably interdiffusing
your Au Si. On our system for some deps, I have seen temperatures as high as
200 C.

If it turns out this is the cause, you have several ways to solve this:
1. Keep the temperature down. Lowering the power isn't necessarily the
solution, because as you lower the power the dep time goes up. There's probably
some analytical solution for the minimal heat transfer vs. dep power, but that
would be your challenge. One sure way is to stagger your dep. Deposit it in 3
runs of 0.1 um, with a 1-2 hour cooling off period in between. You can't break
vacuum, which is why it takes so long to cool.
2. Use a different tacking layer. Cr-Au is anecdotally a little better for
preventing Au-Si diffusion than Ti.
3. Thicken your tacking layer by 100 A. It might buy you some protection.

None of the above will protect your device from Au-Si interdiffusion in
operation if it gets hot. There are many good papers on this subject in the
literature. The only longer term solution is ...

4. Last and best solution is to insert a diffusion barrier. Two most popular
are Ti-TiN-Au or Ti-Pt-Au. Generally greater than 1000 A of a diffusion barrier
is desireable. Stress becomes a control challenge depending upon your system.

Good luck,
Tony Flannery