  From: Reed Gleason
  To: mems-talk@memsnet.org
  Cc: dannykl@techunix.technion.ac.il
  Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 3:23 PM
  Subject: [mems-talk] RE: mems-talk small holes in glass

  For a few holes, you could try a wire of the desired diameter in a small drill
press, diamond abrasive, and a support for the glass that controls the force to
small values, such as setting the glass on urethane foam.

  Dear MEMS colleagues,

      As a part of my thesis I am interested in making several small =
  diameter holes (100-200 micron) in a thin layer of glass (400-500 =
  micron), along a 20 mm line. Then I need to fill the holes with gold or =
  any other metal.
      I would like to know if anyone knows any methods to drill or etch =
  those holes in glass ( Pyrex, BK-7, CdTe, BaF2 or any other material =
  that allows transmission in the visible and IR wavelengths as well).
  I would appreciate if anyone can tell me of a manufacturer that can make =
  these holes.=20
     =20
  P.S.   I choose glass because of its relative high thermal isolation =
  property.

  Thank you in advance,

  Danny Klein