From:   mems-talk-admin@memsnet.org [mailto:mems-talk-admin@memsnet.org] On
Behalf Of Greg Mattiussi
Sent:   Monday, January 21, 2002 10:21 AM
To:     mems-talk@memsnet.org
Subject:        RE: [mems-talk] Non-Chromium Trioxide Defect Etch

> Looking for a non-CrO3 etch for finding dislocation, slip, and
stacking
> fault defects in 100 Si slices.

Hi !

There is a silicon etch (called the Sato etch) that was published by
researchers at Toshiba Ceramics Co. that I have used with excellent
results:

HF (49%)  :  HNO3 (70%) :  CH3COOH (90%) :  H2O  =  1 : 15 : 3 : 1

This etches silicon at a rate of about 4.2 microns/minute, and
delineates dislocations and stacking faults very well.  It is heavy on
the nitric acid, which acts as the oxidizing agent instead of the
chromium trioxide.

I'm sorry my reply took so long, but I had to dig up the reference from
my notes.

Cheers,

Greg Mattiussi
Hosted by the MEMS Exchange, providers of MEMS processing services.
Visit us at http://www.mems-exchange.org/

reply