durusmail: mems-talk: HMDS: is it really that bad?
HMDS: is it really that bad?
HMDS: is it really that bad?
shay kaplan
2002-02-03
Dear Jennifer,
Way back,HMDS was widely used as a 10-20% solution in EGMEA wich was the
positive resist solvent. The fumes of both together was reported to cause
some health problems and was not reccomended for pregnant women. I tend to
think that when the industry moved to PGMEA 'safe solvent' the problem went
away.

Shay

Jennifer Scalf wrote:

> I've heard from many people that HMDS is very, very bad for you.
> However, the few MSDSs that I have read do no indicate that it is
> anything other than a strong irritant and highly flammable.  Why do
> people seem to think it is a teratogen, mutagen, carcinogen, etc?  Do
> some MSDS's have more information than others?  If so, can someone point
> me toward one that explains hazards other than irritation and
> flammability.
>
> Jennifer
> Hosted by the MEMS Exchange, providers of MEMS processing services.
> Visit us at http://www.mems-exchange.org/

reply