durusmail: mems-talk: characterisation of multilayers
characterisation of multilayers
characterisation of multilayers
Rick Williston
2002-05-14
Kakasaheb,

Techniques I have used with reasonable success in the past for
characterisation of such multilayer stacks are SIMS depth profiling for
physical characterisation.  This is a destructive technique and due to
matrix effects and mixing as you profile deeper, this approach is not
strictly quantitative wrt compositional analysis, but can be made more
accurate with the use of standards.  For more information you might want to
contact Charles Evans and Associates or the group at Surface Science Western
(try Ross Davidson at 519-661-2173).  Auger Electron Spectroscopy can also
be made to work but you will have difficulty with charging.
For optical characterisation, single layers can be precisely measured using
ellipsometry.  This approach runs out of steam with multilayer structures.
If you have only a few layers then a Nanospec may be able to help you.  If
however you have constant n and k values for each layer and know that you
have abrupt interfaces,  and you can resort to an optical spectrometer to
measure the angle dependant reflectivity of the stack and use this data to
inversely synthesize the optical constants.  Note that some approximations
will have to be made but we got pretty good correlations using a book
entitled "Computer-aided Techniques for the Design of Multilayer Filters" by
H.M. Liddell when we did this work.  There may be more recent references
specific to what you are doing out there so start by looking for something
that references this work.

Good Luck

Rick Williston
Manager of Nanofabrication