durusmail: mems-talk: RE: mems-talk digest, Vol 1 #291 - 7 msgs
RE: mems-talk digest, Vol 1 #291 - 7 msgs
2002-05-20
RE: Gold film
RE: mems-talk digest, Vol 1 #291 - 7 msgs
Marc Straub
2002-05-20
Gurvinderjit,

I suspect that your film is "beading" like water on a waxed surface and
forming into discrete gold islands.  Gold does not wet or adhere to oxides
well, particularly in very thin layers.  Heating the surface gives the Au
atoms the energy they need to migrate.

Depending upon your application, you should try a thicker layer and/or
flashes (thin layers) of Cr/Cu, Ti or Ti/W under the Au for better adhesion.
Good luck.

--
Marc Straub
Staff Engineer, Product Development Services

reply