durusmail: mems-talk: TMAH Etching
TMAH Etching
il-seok Son
2002-05-29
Chakry,

I used powder form of silicic acid from Fisher scientific.

I add 40 g/liter of SA in 5 % TMAH solution, which is lower concentration
than yours.

The recipe is from Kovacs' article. Aluminium passivation is always working.

As you know, the etching rate of each crystal orientation is slightly
different depends on the concentration.

I am sorry but I am still confused with some part of your mail.

First, would you let me know what gms means?

Did you mean "mg" ,"ml", or none of them?

If it does not make huge difference, I would think "gms" as "ml".

You made 10 % TMAH 710 mg and added DI water later.

So, the TMAH that you are using is not 10 % TMAH, is it?

The following are very good articles for TMAH. I believe there are plenty of
good references out there.

[1] Tabata,O. pH-controlled TMAH Etchants For Silicon Micromachining,
Transducer 95

[2] Klaassen,E. Reay,R. Kovacs,G. Diode-based thermal r.m.s. converter with
on-chip circuitry fabricated using CMOS technology,
Sensors-and-Actuators-A-(Physical), Vol.A52:1-3, p.33-40, March-April, 1996.

I hope these articles are helpful.

I have a question for Michael D Martin.

Would you tell me how long you etched the MOSIS chip?

In other word, how deep did you etch the silicon?

What is the longest TMAH etching that you performed without any damage on
MOSIS chip?

Please, give me all the details.

Thanks.

Il-seok  Son (Sunny)
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Wisconsin - Madison, Sonic MEMS