durusmail: mems-talk: Mechanical property measurement of cantilever
Mechanical property measurement of cantilever
Mechanical property measurement of cantilever
Robert Kazinczi
2002-10-25
Hi Yanjun,

You can measure the resonance frequency with an AFM indeed if the
frequency is lower that the max freq. of the AFM (400kHz?). This is
definitely the case for your dimensions. You just need a reflective pad
at the free end of the cantilever, and make the substrate such that it
fits in the AFM head.

The spring constant can be measured in the AFM as well; bending your
cantilever with an AFM cantilever, or just simply calculating it.

Check for details: R. Kazinczi, J.R. Mollinger, A. Bossche, Proc. IEEE
Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, pp. 229-234, 2000, Miyazaki, Japan

Good luck,

Robert

Robert Kazinczi
robert.kazinczi@cavendish-kinetics.com

On
> Behalf Of Yanjun(David) Tang
> Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 7:06 AM
> To: mems-talk@memsnet.org
> Subject: [mems-talk] Mechanical property measurement of cantilever
>
> Hi,folks
> I'm trying to measure the mechanical properties of silicon dioxide
> microcantilever, such as spring constant, resonant frequency, etc. The
> geometry of cantilever is about 200*150*1micron. Do you have
suggestions
> about how to do the job? What kinds of instruments are needed?  I
heard
> that AFM can be used to measure. I just don't know how? Any opinions
will
> be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Best regards
>
> Yanjun(David) Tang
>
> Graduate student
> Institute for Micromanufacturing
> Louisiana Tech University
>
> 1401 Tech Farm Rd. Apt. #238, Ruston, LA 71270, USA
> Email: yta001@coes.latech.edu
>           tang_yanjun@yahoo.com
>
> Tel: 1-318-255-5133

reply