durusmail: mems-talk: Re: Protective coating for KOH etch
Re: Protective coating for KOH etch
Re: Protective coating for KOH etch
yolanda@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU
1997-05-19
I have not used it myself, but I know others have used wax paper with
success.  My understanding is that it is a little hard to remove, but the
residue can be cleaned off using 1:3  peroxide to sulfuric acid.

Best of luck,

Yolanda Fintschenko
The University of Kansas

On Fri, 16 May 1997, Bin Yuan wrote:

> Black wax (Apiezon) is the protective coating that we have used. It can be
> dissolved by xylene or trichloroethylene.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Bin Yuan
> Department of Mechanical Engineering
> The Johns Hopkins University
> Baltimore, MD 21218
> (410) 516-6665
>
> On Fri, 9 May 1997, James R. Stackhouse wrote:
>
> > We are trying to use KOH to place a 5 micron deep etch on one side of
> > silicon wafer, and 25 micron on other side.  We are looking for a
> > protective coating we could apply to one side of the wafer after we've
> > done the first 5 microns of the etch, then continue with the final etch
> > on the other side.  Can anyone suggest a solution to this two step etch
> > process ?  Possibly a spin-on layer to be removed after the etching ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jim Stackhouse
> > Phil Klauder

reply