durusmail: mems-talk: Piezoresistors
Etching of SiN
Piezoresistors
reference material
Piezoresistors
beaton@npphotonics (Bill Eaton)
2003-03-17
Depending on how heavily doped the resistors are and how you're making the
measurements, it could be that the resistance variations you observe are due
more to contact resistance than variation in the doping.

Unless it's degenerately doped, you can't be certain that you'll make good
contact to your polysilicon. In general, you'll want to pick a metal for
contact pads that will yield an ohmic contact. Another trick is to dope
twice: once to form your resistors, and again to form heavily doped contact
pads.

Another factor could be the probes you're using. If they're not sharp, you
may not be able to guarantee that you'll break through the native oxide on
top of the pads. Or worse, you'll make intermittent contact and get
confusing results.

Good luck,

Bill Eaton, Ph.D.
Materials & Analysis Manager