durusmail: quixote-users: Header and footer PTL Plug-in?
Header and footer PTL Plug-in?
Header and footer PTL Plug-in?
Shalabh Chaturvedi
2005-11-19
On Nov 15, 2005, at 12:20 PM, mario ruggier wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2005, at 9:30 AM, Shalabh Chaturvedi wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to write Quixote applications that can be re-used easily.
>> So I do not want to bind the PTL templates tightly with my site
>> header, footer and other standard 'pieces' of a page. My current
>> strategy is to use:
>>
>> import pageui
>

> I have been doing something very similar also, as I expect that anyone
> who has had to manage the building of non-trivial pages has also. I
> have been meaning to reply to this earlier, but my code is not ready
> for just posting, so I took a little time now to review what I had
> done, and write it up somewhat clearly.

> I have also included info of how I handle rather complex page
> components, that have their own behaviour and interaction. These also
> know how to talk to the page_info object.
>
> My current implementation, for quixote, is not as clean as the partial
> description in the attached file. As I will probably be revising it
> anyway, and possibly doing it for qp, I would appreciate any comments
> you may have, even suggestions of better names. I also would be happy
> to converge this with other similar efforts that may be going on... QP
> already has a very simple idiom for rendering a page, namely that
> publisher.page() renders by calling publisher.header() and
> publisher.footer(), that are therefore easily overridden by the site's
> publisher. What I describe is actually not very different, but more
> general i think. I'd also be interested of ideas of how best to add
> this onto qp... but ill take that to that list.

Your scheme looks intersting. I'd like to see an example of how a page
is defined, for example what would go inside the method for a page:

def somepage [html] ():
     "what goes here"

Or would you construct the page_info object somehow and then call a
render() method?

I think it would be useful to keep the usage simple and close to
standard Quixote as possible. I can also see utility in collecting the
js and css references at the top and I'm all for standardization of
this mechanism.

Thanks,
Shalabh

reply