durusmail: quixote-users: Changing from Zope to Quixote
Changing from Zope to Quixote
2002-09-24
Changing from Zope to Quixote
Juan David Ibáñez Palomar
2002-09-25
Andrew Kuchling wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 11:00:38AM -0400, Greg Ward wrote:
>

>>On 24 September 2002, Thomas Guettler said:
>>

>>>Has someone used IndexedCatalog[1] or ZCatalog with Quixote?
>>>

>>As I understand it, those two Zope features are used to catalog a ZODB
>>full of Zope stuff, not to catalog an arbitrary URL-space.  So your
>>

>ZCatalog is likely Zope-specific, but IndexedCatalog doesn't seem to
>be.  You just inherit from IndexedObject instead of Persistent, create
>a catalog for the class, and then you can perform queries on the
>catalog.  (IndexedCatalog looks pretty spiffy; we might want to
>consider it if we ever need fancier searching.)

 From the ZCatalog.Catalog.Catalog docstring:

  "This class is not Zope specific, and can be used in any python
   program to build catalogs of objects.  Note that it does require
   the objects to be Persistent, and thus must be used with ZODB3."

I guess this is not completely true, probably some hacking would be
needed to get it working out of Zope. The IndexedCatalog documentation
says it requires the ZODB too.

Probaly the advantage of ZCatalog is more features and the advantage
of IndexedCatalog is more easy to use without Zope.

Anyway this are good news for me, with IndexedCatalog I see closer
the day I'll get rid of Zope.

Regards,

--
J. David Ibáñez, http://www.j-david.net
Software Engineer / Ingénieur Logiciel / Ingeniero de Software

reply